Sunday, August 8, 2010

entropy, free books and the Matrix

It's 6PM Sunday night. I just showed up at church because I thought I had to teach. But I just found out the Youth doesn't have any activities tonight. So this will give me a chance to catch up with you guys.

As I read through our last comments I've decided to offer you guys free stuff instead of trying to answer anything about evolution or the first or second laws of thermodynamics.

My Pastor has written a couple books. The first book is on the 10 commandments and he uses each commandment to show God's love. I think it is titled "Free to Love". The second book is titled "The Portal". It is a cool book written through the eyes of an angel. And the tales of what he sees on things like Satan's rebellion, the tribulation and the rapture etc.

I also have another friend who has written a book. His name is Randy, he is the reason the term "fundy" was invented. But I respect him greatly and after my Brother, Brother-in-law and Pastor, he'd be the next person I'd seek out for questions I have concerning God and Scripture. Anyways his book is more of a testimony about his life and his disorder of OCD. (Obsessive compulsive disorder). But he does have a chapter dedicated to the 2nd law of thermodynamics and how it conflicts with evolution.

I believe Jeff has read the first 2 books mentioned and hopefully he can critique them for us. Just remember Jeff is an Atheist, so he might not give them a thumbs up? But at least I know he'll be honest.

Randy's book covers a lot of ground. It was interesting for me because I could relate to some of the names and places he mentions. It might be interesting to you if you have OCD?

If anyone would like a free copy of any or even all of these books, I'd be glad to mail them to you. Here's my e-mail address if you want to send me your address and book request. feeno@fuse.net.

I have an Idea for a post. I might get to it tonight or after work tomorrow.

Later, feeno

P.S. Did you all read T-Vicks last comment on our last post? Vick... you da man!

3 comments:

  1. No, I've only read the Portal, but not the other one.

    If you want my opinion on the Portal, well, it's......interesting. I really can't describe it better than that. It's fiction, which makes me rate it on a more lenient scale (angels are allowed in a fictional universe), but his note at the beginning of the book claims that it is all theologically sound, based on Scripture. I found that difficult to believe, since he invents ideas to try and explain things that are nowhere found anywhere in the Bible. Stuff like time warps and whatnot...it's a little strange.

    Anyway, I'd recommend it to atheists and Christians alike, if you're looking for a good laugh. If you're looking for a good plot, or for sound theology, I'd look somewhere else. It also comes across as pretty preachy, so be warned.

    On a different note, question for you, feeno: Does your friend Randy have any background in physics, chemistry, or biology to be making pronouncements on either thermodynamics or evolution? Just wondering. I'm not really interested in reading what a layman has to say about chemical reactions, but if he's actually got knowledge about the laws of thermodynamics, I might at least consider it (you know...since it's free).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, Thanks.

    Actually Randy has no formal training in anything. But in his defense he is a relentless studier of History, religion, philosophy and the sciences. He just loves to read and learn and soaks up everything like a sponge. But if you'd like another signed copy...?

    GenSkep

    I saw where you left a comment and now I don't see it? I hope you don't think I deleted it, I just don't know what happened to it? Please feel free to try again.

    Later, feeno

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez, I dunno. I'm so bad at this blogging thing.

    Anyway, it was just another reminder that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics isn't really a problem for evolution, since all evolution requires are reproduction, heredity, and selection, and all of those things are happening right now with no threat to the 2LT. Plus a link or two to TalkOrigins.

    But everyone know how to get over there.

    ReplyDelete